What Bit Torrent Is:
Bit Torrent was created by programmer Bram Cohen and debuted at CodeCon 2002 in the Python programming languages. It is a way of downloading a file from multiple computers at one time using a peer to peer network client program. It is used to share audio, software, and video files. It is use for both Legal and illegal purposes. A couple of terms to be familiar with while using Bit Torrent are:
|Tracker||The server which keeps track of who is sharing the file. This server keeps track of the number of computers that is sharing the file.|
|Seed||A computers with a complete copy of the file that is uploading of the file to others. The more seeds the faster the download. More seeds = faster downloads.|
|Swarm||Together, all users sharing a torrent are called a swarm. Six peers and two seeds make a swarm of eight|
|Leech||A computers that download / uploading the parts of the file that they have already.|
|Peer To Peer Network||Peer to Peer network is the type of network that Bit Torrent uses. According Wikipedia a peer to pear network is "a computer network is a network that relies on the computing power and bandwidth of the participants in the network rather than concentrating it in a relatively low number of servers. P2P networks are typically used for connecting nodes via largely ad hoc connections. Such networks are useful for many purposes. Sharing content files (see file sharing) containing audio, video, data or anything in digital format is very common, and realtime data, such as telephony traffic, is also passed using P2P technology."|
In a nut shell this is how Bit Torrent works.
1. You go to a website (Tracker) which houses the file you want to download.
2. You click on the Bit Torrent link for the file you wish to download, which then allows you to save the .torrent file to your PC for latter use or you open it right away.
3. Your Bit Torrent client connects to the Tracker site and starts download the pieces of file from multiple computers. The parts that you have completed downloaded are then upload to others upon request.
4. The client then puts the file together when you have completed downloading all of the parts of the file.
How Do I Use Bit Torrent To Download Files Faster:
Here is how you use Bit Torrent to download files faster.
1. Download and install a Bit Torrent client. Here is a list of several clients available: Bittorent (The original Bit Torrent client), ABC [ Yet Another Bittorrent Client ], and Azureus. Do a search for Bit Torrent Client if you would like to use a different client then the ones listed here.
2. Click on the Bit Torrent download link found on the web page of the web site (tracker) that has the file you wish to download. Save the .torrent file ( Bit Torrent's file extension) to to your computer so you can open it latter, or open it right a way. You will then use your Bit Torrent client to download the file to your computer. Remember that the file only downloads as fast as it sources. Please remember to keep your client open if possible so you can to help other download the file.
3. Open / use the file you download. Remember to scan the file for viruses before you open / use the file you downloaded.
Check out Bit Torrent - how to use, make, distribute if you want more information on creating, using, distributing Bit Torrent files.